Sunday, March 23, 2008

A hard way to learn the truth.

Ever since 1979, Easter has been a bittersweet holiday for me. Yes, the Easter Bunny arrives bringing foil chocolate eggs and jelly beans, but the last time I saw my mom alive, was the night before Easter. She went into the hospital that night and because of hospital rules, I was never able to visit her and thus, I never saw her again. 29 years ago. 29 years and I still remember seeing her as she walked down my grandmother's hall, heading to the hospital. 29 years and I still remember how I called out and she stopped by the room where I had been sleeping. 29 years and I still remember jumping out of bed and running down the stairs to catch up with her, but was too late. 29 years and I still remember seeing the Easter baskets already laid out. 29 years, but I still remember how I felt in my little six year old mind. I had been told that the Easter Bunny only arrived once everyone in the house was asleep. My parents hadn't gone to sleep yet, this much I knew. Quite a hard way to learn the truth.

4 comments:

Still Waiting said...

Love you and thinking of you bunches!! XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO

Sorry my email was such a downer - selfish of me :-(

Erin said...

You weren't a downer...you were just being honest and truthful. Love you lots as well.

The Flying Tank said...

that is so sad. I love you bunches

TennesseeWalkerFarm said...

Erin,
It is very difficult to loose loved ones when you are older. I can't imagine loosing your mom at 6 years old.

Love you a Lot!