Saturday, April 5, 2008

Following in line.



Do you ever wonder WHY? Why do we feel like we need to live in the best school district? Why does my husband have to work 50+ hours a week? Why do I feel I have to a perfectly clean house (which I don't)? Why so much pressure? I often fantasize of moving my family to some remote spot and living off the land. I have never had a vegetable garden, but I think I would love it. I have never canned, but I CAN imagine that I would find great satisfaction out of it. So what if my kids aren't in the top district? Maybe they play in a "C" soccer league? Maybe having their father around more often would make up the difference. What will help my kids out the most in the long run? How do you teach a child daily responsibility? Isn't that our goal? Make each child accountable for their actions. Help them be independent. Be a good person. I don't want my children to become selfish or self-centered. You are complaining of being BORED? How do you think Laura Ingalls felt? She would be astonished at what you have. You're not receiving oranges in your Christmas stocking.


This isn't new for me. I have been pondering these questions for many years. Out of fear I don't act. How do I know what is right? If a fairy could grant me one wish, it would be to live a happy life in the country. My fear hinders me. So I will continue on this path ...until I muster enough guts to say "Enough is enough!"

2 comments:

Still Waiting said...

Hey! Hope you guys had a good vacation. Regarding your son, I know he will turn out just fine. He is still a little boy, and he'll figure things out. You guys are good parents and doing the best that you can. Isn't that really all parents can do? I think about my brother and how worried my parents always were about him. He lost everything, was terrible in school, always got in trouble, etc, etc, etc. He finally grew up and figured it all out. I'm sure your guy will be great too. He's got a great example in you and Brian (and your little girl too - it doesn't matter that she is younger). Ok - Love you and miss you.

Erin said...

Thanks for the nice comment and for putting it in perspective. I know you are right. I'm excited to see you in a couple of weeks!!