Thursday, December 18, 2008

A true gift.

When I was pregnant with my son, I worked at the local department store in customer service. During the holiday season, I did a lot of gift wrapping.

One day a little boy, about the age of 10, came to the counter wanting a gift wrapped.  "It's for my mom," he said.  "Make sure and take off the prices, I don't want her to see how much I spent on her.  She would be upset that I spent my whole allowance."

I opened up the bag and found a hideously ugly, over-the-top, wouldn't-be-caught-dead-wearing, cubic zirconia necklace and a pair of Gold Toe socks.

"Could you wrap it in a big box so she won't guess what it is?"  the little guy asked.  I seriously doubted his mom would guess the necklace, but perhaps she would guess the socks, so I complied.

As I wrapped up the gift as fancy as I could with extra tissue and ribbon, I couldn't help but be touched by this little boy's gift.  This was a gift from the heart.  This is what Christmas is all about....giving of yourself to those you love.  

On Christmas day, I thought of the little boy and his mom.  I pictured her wearing the necklace with great pride.  I thought of the little baby inside of me and wondered if I would ever have a Gold Toe Socks and Necklace Christmas.  This year, I might.  My son, who is a terrible saver, told me he was buying me a very special gift.  "Mom, it's probably going to be the sweetest one under the tree."  It dawned on me.  He has no money, but he did receive a $5 gift card to the local candy store.  I bet I'm getting $5 worth of fudge.

I'll cherish every bite.  

May we all have a Holiday Season filled with heart felt love.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd LOVE fudge as a gift! That necklace....well, more the IDEA of it than actually wearing it... :)