Friday, January 25, 2008

We haven't "Come along way, baby".


The other night at dinner we were giving each other riddles.  Brian asked the kids the riddle of:  "A son and a father are in a car accident.  The father dies.  The child is rushed to the hospital.  The doctor at the hospital says 'I can't operate on the boy.  He is my son.'  How can this be?"

I thought, "We live in such a progressive age.  The kids are going to answer this in a snap."  Was I ever wrong.  Here's a bit of the conversation:

10-year old:  "Actually the doctor was confused.  He was the Uncle."
Brian:  "No."
10-year old:  "It was God?  Because I am God's son?"
Brian:  "No."

This went on for awhile, with both children guessing.  Finally Brian revealed the answer that the doctor was the boy's mother.

At this point, my daughter turned to me and said:  "Mom, if she was a girl doctor, she would be called a nurse."

Honest to goodness she said that...she thought female doctors were called nurses.  I had to point out that she herself sees a female doctor and we call her "Doctor".  My oh my, I thought we had come so far.  Obviously there is still some work to be done.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wait a minute, I thought the father that died was a priest?

The Flying Tank said...

There are two versions. In one, the father that died is a priest. The other one, the doctor is the mom.