Sunday, July 20, 2008

The cruise director is taking the day off.


My kids have had a really nice summer so far...full of play-dates, trips, swimming, sleep-overs and an abundant of outdoor activities.  

I have shuttled them from place to place, continued to plan meals and grocery shop, have done laundry and scraped up the dead mice caracas that the cats so nicely bring us.  Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed the slower pace of summer.  I love not having to rush in the morning and pack lunches and get the kids out the door.  I have really enjoyed being with my kids.  They have reached a fun age where we can do lots of fun things.  However, I miss the "me" time I had during the school year.  Times when I could meet a friend for coffee or go for a nice long walk.

I am thus declaring today MY day.  The kids can make their own lunch...and perhaps their dinner. Even if that means all they have is a bowl of cereal.  They will survive.  They will have to entertain themselves and use their imagination.

I will go for a walk.  Sit outside and read a book.  Do what I want.  If they complain that they are bored, I will be happy to show them the shinny machines in the mud-room.  They work like magic.  You put dirty clothes in them and clean clothes come out!  

No comments: