Monday, September 29, 2008

Traveling oddities.

Have you ever really REALLY thought about how odd it is to fall asleep on an airplane next to a complete stranger?  It dawned on me the other day how outside of public transportation, falling asleep next to a stranger would be weird.  Sleep is personal and make us so vulnerable. Yet, I cannot stay awake on a plane.  As soon as they start going into the safety lesson, I'm out like a light.  Hopefully the passenger next to me doesn't become my pillow.

Have you ever had the privilege of sitting on a plane with a stranger who does nothing the entire trip, but stare straight ahead at the tray-back?  It's very disconcerting.  This scenario has happened to me a couple of times.  They don't sleep.  They don't read.  They don't even look around.  They stare at the lock mechanism on the tray.  For the entire trip.  It makes me squirm.  They must have better imaginations than I do.  

The ferry can be an interesting place to people watch.  People become quite oblivious about those around them.  I've seen people trim their finger nails and floss their teeth.  People also seem to think that just because my back is to them, means I cannot hear them.  Boy are they wrong.  I've heard crazy stories....stories that could be on soap-operas!  I'm just waiting for one day when I hear familiar names.