Monday, March 16, 2009

Putting me in my place.

Last night my 11 year old got in trouble.  Let's just say it involved a can of "Insta-Poo" and the driveway.  Anyway, after he had been read the riot act, I told him to go spend some time in his room.  On his way up to his room, I said, "Come here and put out your arms."  I then filled them with freshly clean clothes for him to put away.

My daughter had watched the whole interaction and said, "Mom, if I was him, I would have expected a hug when you asked him to put out his arms."  That broke my heart on so many levels. First of all, she was exactly right.  I should have hugged him and it did sound like I was going to hug him.  Second of all, I was so proud of her for sticking up for her brother.   She put me in my place and  I am so glad she did.  A round of hugs all around!

No comments: