Monday, October 25, 2010

Here we go again....

Just when I thought it was safe to relax, Brock decides to try out for the junior high basketball team. EEK! Tryouts begin this afternoon and run through Wednesday.

Brock's grade is known for having stellar athletes who also happen to be stellar jerks. In fact, it's a serious enough issue that it's often brought up at school district meetings. Teachers ask, "What's with the class of 2016?"

I actually discouraged him from trying out. If he ended up making the team, why would he want to hang out with a group of bullies? His response was that if he makes the team, he will be proud of himself. I told him I have never been more proud of him than when he was "demoted" in soccer, but continued to hold his head up high and practice extra hard. He showed great character. The way he handled himself was amazing, and something I don't know if I could have done. That my son, is something to be proud of and is a skill that will serve you well in life.

I think during tryouts, the junior high basketball coaches should give the kids a manners and personality test along with their skills. That would be a sure-fire way to weed out the bad seeds. Shouldn't your personality and sportsmanship play a part of whether make the team?

Stay tuned for the try-out saga. And I'm 99% sure it will be a saga.

3 comments:

Gberger said...

I agree with you - character is more important than athletic ability! But try telling that to the pro sports teams, who pay more to athletes than teachers or paramedics are paid. Or to parents who have fantasies of pro athletes in the family! We need to make some changes in our society, and you are making a positive impact by teaching your kids the message that you just did! Good job, mom!

Still Waiting said...

Good luck Brock, and ERIN!!!

Kate said...

Oh HONEY! Don't get me STAHTED about the jerks!
What I worry about is them rubbing off on sweet sweet Brock! But, he is such the special guy...I bet he rubs off on them. xo
Ps= I commented on your last post too.
Only as Fred the random monkey..courtesy of my 14 year old that didn't log out first!!