Monday, April 20, 2009

An amazing tribute.


Yesterday was the memorial service for the son of one of my closest friends.  It was a wonderful tribute to him.  The service was held in the school gym.  They had set up 550 chairs and when the service began, there was standing room only!

I was asked by my friend to read something that she and her husband wrote about their child.  It was a touching, moving and funny piece.  They captured him really well.

At the closing of the service, they opened up the mike to people who would like to share a story or memory.  Imagine my surprise when my son stood in line to say something.  He shared two sweet stories and delivered his impromtu speech really well.  I had a hard enough time standing up in front of the crowd....I was very proud that my son handled himself so well.

Instead of signing a guest book, they had a bunch of Sharpies, and the attendees signed the Scooby-Doo van.  (The little boy who died loved Scooby-Doo and his artistic mom painted their old van to resemble the Mystery Machine from Scooby-Doo).

All in all, an emotional day, but an amazing outpouring of love.

1 comment:

Gberger said...

I am catching up here...good for you for saying "yes" to doing this. I know how hard it is...I couldn't possible speak at Katie's service, not AT ALL. It took all I had to stand in the receiving line. I was so thankful that Bev and our cousin Kim were willing to talk about Katie, and that Paul made that fantastic slideshow. Your friend will never, ever forget what you did for her and her family. It's a beautiful, selfless, courageous gift.