Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The man with a really long fingernail.

Last night before bed, all four of us were hanging out in my son's bedroom.  I picked up a piece of plastic that had fallen off a trophy.  It fit perfectly on my middle finger and it looked like a super long finger nail claw.  No one else had seen it so I said, 

"Have you ever heard the legend about the man with a really long fingernail?"  Both kids eyes got wide and they scooted closer to me.

"Well," I continued, "the story goes that there is a man with no hand, but just a long fingernail that comes out of his arm.  He travels around looking for kids with really soft skin.  He doesn't hurt them, he just likes to scratch their skin."  (I was trying to be as tame as possible.  I thought, HEY!  No blood, no guts, no death, perfectly harmless.)

"I heard that on Saturday, he was down south and traveling up this way.  I think he's probably around our neighborhood tonight.  Close your eyes and let's see if he's near."  (Both kids obey me and close their eyes....just about the only time they have followed my directions in the past week.)

I reached over and scratched their face with the plastic toy.  My daughter began to laugh but then it turned into sobs.  

I had to sleep with her last night.  

I was trying to be funny and I ended up scaring them. My husband claims that the way I told the story made it really scary because it was so odd.

Watch out "Clown Killer".  There is a new legend in town...."The Man with the really Long Fingernail".  

1 comment:

Kate said...

haha! That is hilarious Erin.