Sunday, March 21, 2010

I needed a good cry...

I've been on the verge of tears for weeks. Thursday night, I was finally able to release the dam of tears.

For those who are near and dear to me but live other places, I check their weather on my phone every day. It makes me feel close to them, like when it's snowing in Missoula, or windy in Chicago, I can picture my loved ones in their element (ha-ha.) We found out on Thursday that I will get to add another city to my daily weather checking. Our dear, close-as-family- friends announced they are moving to Reston, Virginia.

And while I know it's the right move for them (another unintended pun), it is breaking my heart. I love these peeps. They understand our quirkiness and our humor. For the past seven years, our families have gotten together as well as bread goes with butter. Their daughter is like a daughter to us. Our kids look to her as an older sister and mentor. They've been there for holidays, birthdays, championship games, vacations and anytime we need to unwind with some card playing fun.

We are the ones who usually do the moving. It's hard to be on the other side of things this time.

We will weather this storm. Our friendship can handle this.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Erin, you might be surprised that your new relationship, while different, can remain every bit as close. Really close friends of ours moved to Phoenix over 20 years ago. Although we only see them once or twice a year, it usually entails spending a lot more time with them, like we do with you when we visit or you come here. Those extended visits are very rewarding.

Kate said...

Is this the Woods family? I know, it's hard. I love the comment before mine. It is very true.