Friday, April 2, 2010

Paradise found.


The kids and I just returned from a fun week in paradise, aka my aunt's condo in Florida. Thanks to Orbitz Deal Detector, we got a screaming deal on tickets to Florida. (Note to self: the airline trip nearly did Kate in, if we are ever fortunate to go to Europe, she will need to be medicated or will need to fly first class.)


(Jet lag nap.)


Brock was like a different kid in Florida. The reason? Because he spent countless hours doing this:



He has always had a gift and a knack at finding small creatures. He is incredibly gentle with even the smallest bug. I wish there was a school where he could spend all day searching for and learning about animals. He would excel and shine. On this trip, I realized the importance of helping him nurture this passion.



He even found joy in finding grasshoppers.

And the crazy thing is that the animals don't leave him. They rest on him and crawl on him. If I try to hold something, it immediately jumps out of my hand.

Florida was a perfect nature lover's paradise. On one side of my aunt's condo is the Atlantic, on the other side is the Indian River. We searched long and hard for Manatees, but unfortunately didn't see them.






But we did find lizards, fish and interesting birds.

My kids were very brave at sticking their hands in trees trying to capture lizards. With the high snake population in Florida, I wouldn't take part.



But I didn't realize I needed to worry about wild life in my aunt's condo. Look what greeted us after an afternoon of shopping. Thankfully, Brock had brought his Reptile Guidebook with him so we were able to feel fairly confident that this was a rat snake, and not venomous, but we still had to call animal control.



Kate got to fulfill her horse passion and ride on the beach. I went along as well, and it was the LAST TIME I'll ever ride. Even though we were on soft sand, and even though the horses were slow and tame, it scared me to death and I couldn't wait for the ride to end. It didn't help that Kate's horse was kicked by another horse. She handled it way better than I would have. I think I would have gotten off and walked back to the car.



And of course, I enjoyed my time spent with my Aunt. She was an excellent tour guide and host. She put up with hours of Sponge Bob and the fact I have picky eaters. She exposed us to the joy of Publix mint chocolate cookies and Florida's signature chocolate covered coconut candies. She carried on the Brock Family tradition and had pie for breakfast. (Growing up, my Grandma Brock would give me cake for breakfast because it "has milk and eggs in it.") And she provided us a window to my mom....thank you Aunty S for the great time.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Sounds like you had a great time. It was so nice to see you today and I am glad you are all back safe and sound. xo