Friday, May 1, 2009

That's my boy.


My son is playing in the "majors" of Little League.  It is much more intense then in past years.  They are out to win and learn the in's and out's of the game.

Last night my son was on second base and his teammate hit the ball hard and his third base coach waved him to run to third base and then to home.  Well, my son was rounding third base and the opposing team's third baseman was in the way, so my son didn't touch the base.  Half way between third base and home plate, he realized what he had done and turned back to touch third.  He got stuck on third and wasn't able to make it safely home.

His coach asked him what happened and why did he do that and my son's reply was, "I didn't touch the base and I didn't want to cheat."

I swelled with pride.  A win doesn't feel good if you cheated getting there.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That was very sweet and I was proud of his honesty. It also was the correct play. The third baseman was obstructing the base path (which is why he missed the bag). If there was a play at third in that situation (which there wasn't), the ump could have called obstruction and the runner automatically gets the base. If on the other hand, there was no play where the obstruction occured, the ump has discretion on what penalty to impose and the baserunner advances at his own peril. Therefore, if he advanced, he could have been tagged out. I am sure he had Rule 7.06(b) in mind when making that baserunning decision.

Gberger said...

I agree! Good parenting and a good-hearted boy. This is a sweet story.