Thursday, September 17, 2009

The last fruits of our labor.





A generous local woman allowed her pasture to be turned into pea patches. Kate and I had wanted to try gardening for ages, but since we live in the deep shade, the only thing we can grow is moss. We jumped at the chance to grow in full sun. Some of our neighbors at the pea patch took amazing plots and grew literally everything under the sun. Kate and I stayed small and grew some lettuce, squash, carrots and flowers.

We went by the garden today for our final harvest. Our pickings were slim, but the Zinnias were abundant. Their colors put a smile on my face and I decided to make some bouquets for friends. I was happily trimming the flowers when my finger brushed against a hard lump under the biggest Zinnia. My heart dropped when I turned the flower over to see a spider with the body the size of a quarter. Using a surprisingly level-head, I figured it wasn't the spider's fault that s/he was picked along with the flower. I took the flower outside and with a stick flicked the spider into the woods. Hopefully that will bring good spider-karma to me and my family. (Plus, the thought of squishing it made me squirm.)

Enjoy your virtual bouquets!