Thursday, October 8, 2009

Time to break out the Aretha.

Two postings ago, I lamented on the lack of respect of my children's generation. Tonight I let them both have a sleep-over (because, yes, once again, they don't have school tomorrow), and their combined lack of respect is turning me into a mean mom. You know the kind. The kind of mom that the kids apologize for, once she leaves the room. The "non-fun" mom. The mom where no one wants to hang out at your house kind of mom.

Each pair of kids separately asked me if they could walk to the near by store to buy snacks. Being that it was practically dark out, my response was, "Sorry, not tonight. Some other time during the day you all can. We have plenty of good snacks here." Each of my children negotiated with me and pleaded. Then their friends chimed in, saying that they have their own money, or they could bring a flashlight, etc. What? Maybe I spoke too fast. Let me slow down and speak up....I said NO!

And the thing is, it's not like any of these four kids are bad kids. In fact, they are really nice, fun kids who just happen to not have that respect gene. Growing up, if Dr. Zucker told me and Fran "No," I didn't sit her down and lay out a list of reasons why she should let us. We dealt with our disappointment and moved on...no hounding, no bartering.

Do you think it would help if I blared some "R-E-S-P-E-C-T"? Probably not. They would roll their eyes and tell (not ask) me to change the song.

3 comments:

Kate said...

I am feeling so spoiled with the frequency of your posting! Keep it up. I LOVE reading your blog.
xo-Katie

Unknown said...

You are making me think I should tell you that you should R E S P E C T my judgement when I tell you it is safe to ride Max, the horse that my 4 oldest grandkids ride alone, and that you'd be really proud of yourself afterwards. Or perhaps this falls into a totally different category. Suggest you have a discussion with your friends about this.
This blog thing is kind of fun. Of course I'm not brave enough to have one am I?

Still Waiting said...

I think its generational. Now that I think about it, I don't even think we asked. You are an AWESOME mom. How could you be the mean kind?