Friday, February 5, 2010

Dual purpose lotion.




I've enrolled in a creative writing course through our local park's department. Last night was our first class and one assignment was to draw a memory map of your childhood room (or other memorable room). I mapped out my room from our Kansas City, Missouri house. Mapping the room brought back lots of memories (and it would be a fun activity to do with my brothers and parents.)

It was an old house and and at one point, my room must have been the sun room. Three out of the four walls were full of windows. Kansas City has some vicious thunderstorms and my bed was an old brass one. 5th or 6th grade science taught me that metal conducts electricity. Do you see where this post is going? Surrounded by windows, laying on a metal bed, during a thunderstorm made sleeping extremely difficult. Being a quasi-scientist, I knew that plastic was not a conductor so I would surround my body with lotion bottles to prevent me from being stuck. I would sleep soundly with Vaseline Intensive Care bottles stuck under my arms and legs.

Not only did it prevent me from having, dry and flakey skin, it could have quiet possibly saved my life.


Thanks to Google Maps, I was able to find a current picture of our old house. Technology is so amazing.

2 comments:

Kate said...

That is hilarious. I used to sleep in a stuffed animal sort of coffin.
I'll tell you more about that in person. xo

Unknown said...

Whoa, what's with all the overgrown shade trees? Is that the way the old house looks for real?