Friday, February 12, 2010

Save the Blue Bird!


The other day, Kate and I were discussing the age-old question, "If the house was burning, and you could only grab one thing, what would it be?" She picked the blue glass bird that resides in our living room. I think the bird came from Brian's great Aunt Bert's house. Kate said the bird makes her feel peaceful and she likes how it feels in her hand.

I thought her choice was an interesting one. I would have guessed she would have picked a stuffed animal or a favorite book. (She did say she'd also want to take her money because we may need some cash and she would let us have it....PROGRESS!) Back to the bird, what I thought was so sweet about her choice, was that it wasn't just a pretty object, but it represented her home, her family, her love for us, her comfort. So much wrapped in blue glass.

A recent article in The New Yorker, talked about how smells can transport back to your childhood. The author also grew up in Kansas City and mentioned many spots that I grew up enjoying such as The Dime Store and Winstead's. Smells are powerful. I get transported to Judy's house, my childhood friend, each time I'm in the laundry detergent aisle. Her home always smelled like Cheer detergent. I can remember the upholstery smell of the big blue Buick....a mixture of air conditioning and stale cigarette smoke with a tinge of up-chucked Froot Loops. I have my old Frances books, such as Bedtime for Frances. The books are over thirty years old, but the pages still have a distinct and wonderful smell of my childhood.

In thirty years, what will transport my children? Guinea pig bedding? Mrs. Myer's cleaning products? The electronic smell of a computer screen?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your article was very heartwarming. My most memorable, favorite smells from my childhood were the smell of our wood burning kitchen stove and the barn where we had sheep and cows and a horse.

Love You