Friday, January 9, 2009

Slowly but surely recovering.

I have been down and out...

It started last Friday when I felt achy all over, including my teeth.  I went to bed and woke up in the middle of the night with severe chills and a fever of 
103.8.  The kind of fever that makes you smell funny.  I started to worry that I was "cooking" my insides.

I felt terrible all weekend, but on Monday I thought I was improving because I no longer had a fever.  By Monday night the fever returned accommpied by it's friend "Pain when Coughing".  It was then that I decided I should
 see my doctor.

Sure enough, Tuesday morning my doctor confirmed what I feared...pneumonia.  I was sent away with many prescriptions and have started to feel better.  I still have severe coughing attacks, but no fever and my energy is slowing returning.

Brian was amazing during all of this.  He treated me so kindly and was a great nurse.  I felt well cared for and loved.  My kids?  Well, my daughter was concerned at first and was a great help. She would come ask me if I needed anything and sit on the bed and rub my arm.  We did a few Mad-libs together and she was sweet company.  How
ever, by Saturday afternoon, she had had enough.  She sent me an e-mail (remember, she expresses herself far better in writing than in speaking) that said:  

"Hi Mom!  I hope yo
u feel better but sometimes I feel like you always just boss me around and make me get stuff for you when you are sick and then just say thank you really quickly.  I also get mad when you need something and you ask Dad to bring it up to you, then he always asks me to do it when I'm busy.  I love you!"

When my son heard I was sick, he came to my room to say "hi" but pulled up his shirt to cover his mouth and nose and wouldn't completely face me.  Granted, I didn't want him to get sick either, but come on!  Show a little compassion!  However, as my sickness progressed he searched for a bell for me to use to call for him.  When he couldn't find one, he suggested that I "Clap two times really loud and I'll come help you."  Not a 
good choice when the patient has a splitting headache, 
but kind nonetheless.  

Our two cats have be
en so sweet to me.  Isn't it weird how cats can always tell when you are sick?  Obi, the bigger of the two, has laid by my feet practically the entire time I've been sick.
Lili will cuddle on my chest and lick my fingers.  

A plus side of my sickness has been that I have caught up on lots of late night infomercials. With my birthday just around the corner, I have many things to ask for.  High on my list will be the InStyler hair styling system, Strap Perfect and the Point and Paint.  You may think I'm kidding, but I'm not.  After reading the fine print, the InStyler is a bit pricey.  Their $14.99 trial price mislead me.  Might have to wait until next Christmas for that one. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Erin your writing seriously cracks me up!! I'm so sorry you ended up with pneumonia - not a fun way to start the New Year. I had to laugh about your son and his shirt over his mouth - Ryland (as sweet as he is) would absolutely do the same thing...not big on germs. Rest well and hope you are feeling 100% soon!