Saturday, April 17, 2010

Agonizing for the old mother.



As you walk towards the mound, I get up from the bleachers and move away from the rest of the crowd. I can't be with other people when you're out there. I lean against the fence, grasp my hands and clench my jaw. I can feel the stress in my shoulders. My fingernails dig into my palms. I hardly breathe.

I watch you, while sending you good vibes and cheering. "You can do it bud! Throw it hard." I try to sound relaxed. I don't want you to hear my nervousness in my voice. When I can't take the stress any longer, I watch the umpire behind home plate. it is music to my ears when he calls out "STRIKE".

I go between watching you, the umpire and the score board. Full count. Two outs. YOU CAN DO IT.

You did it.

4 comments:

Kate said...

You totally put to words what I feel EVERY single time Brennan pitches. It is gut wrenching!!!

Unknown said...

Boy can you write: I felt like I was watching Brock pitch.

Randy said...

It's agony; pure agony. I used to pace behind the bleachers, sneaking a peak at each pitch Peter through. Soem day you will laugh about it, but in the meantime....

Randy said...

Make that "threw" and "some day"