Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Injured.


This child owns new elbow pads, but they didn't do him much good laying in the garage. He went to the skate park yesterday and came home with his elbow swollen. It looked like his elbow swallowed an orange. He was really fishy about how the injury happened. He kept changing his story.

We still weren't getting the full story this morning when Brock woke up. His elbow was still swollen, I told him we needed to go to the doctor.

Brock: Will I still go to school?

Me: Yes. You should be able to go to school after the appointment. That is, unless they need to amputate it. If that's the case, you'll need to go to the operating room, so you'll probably not make it back to school in time today.

Brock: Really?

Me: Yeah. But I doubt they'll need to operate. You said it happened playing soccer. They will only need to amputate it if it was caused from a skate boarding injury.

Then the truth came out. He did in fact injure it skateboarding, but he wasn't sure how exactly he injured it. Apparently, he fell too many times to pinpoint the exact injury.

A couple xray's later, and he's in a sling. The doctor doesn't think he fractured it, although he's sending the xrays to a radiologist. Brock will need to wear the sling for the next few days. No baseball this weekend.

I'm not sure why he felt he needed to lie about his injury. He's been lying a lot lately. I'm sure it's a developmental thing, but I'm not enjoying this stage. Good thing he's still not a good liar. It makes it so much easier to catch him in his web of lies.

3 comments:

Kate said...

!! Love your entrapment skills !!
I have one that lies in the same manner. I mean..no point at all in lying, but he still does it.
xo to Brock. Bummer about missing his games. One of my favorite quotes is " You can make your own decisions, yes, but you don't get to choose the consequences"!

Randy said...

Double ouch--elbow and getting caught at lying. I am confident there is a learning event in this episode.

Randy

Gberger said...

I feel your (and his) pain. It is "interesting" when they go through these phases!

Did you ever hear the story of the boy who liked Katie, & who stole a (real) diamond and ruby necklace from his mom's jewelry box and gave it to Miss Katie? I found it in our WASHING MACHINE. She had forgotten all about it, and left it in a pocket. I had to call his parents, and you can probably guess the rest. My father still refers to this boy as "the jewel thief." =)